Not the prettiest presentation but 100% satisfyingly *YUM*.
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1.5 cups half-and-half
1.5 cups coconut milk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) gluten free pie shell, baked
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, corn starch and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. (This step took forever.) Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
4. Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
5. Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.
Store bought pie crust would work just fine and but I went all out and made my own.
1 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/8 cup (6 tablespoons) cold butter
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Lightly grease a 9″ pie pan.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, xanthan gum, and salt.
3. Cut the cold butter into pats, then work the pats into the flour mixture until it’s crumbly, with some larger, pea-sized chunks of butter remaining.
4. Whisk the egg and lemon juice together until very foamy. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture holds together, adding 1 to 3 additional tablespoons cold water if necessary.
5. Shape into a ball and chill for an hour, or up to overnight.
6. Allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling.
7. Roll out on a piece of plastic wrap, on a silicone rolling mat, or in a pie bag that’s been heavily sprinkled with gluten-free flour or flour blend. Invert the crust into the prepared pie pan.
8. To pre-bake without filling like I did, preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the bottom with pie weights or rice, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the rice, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is a light golden brown. You’ll want to cover the edges of the crust with foil too to make sure they don’t get scorched.